I made an amalgamation of Joy of Cooking & Vegan Soul Food recipes. Most directions from Joy, seasonings from VSF. In addition, I never have parsley on hand so I regularly omit it. However last week I got a huge bunch of the curly stuff in the CSA box. It really added some lovely color to a very beige dish.
Hoppin' John, in the pot
- Put 1 1/4 cup dried black eyed peas in saucepan with enough water to cover by 1"
- Bring to a boil, allow to boil rapidly for 1 minute
- Cover and remove from heat. Allow to sit for 1 1/2 hours before draining and rinsing.
- Over medium heat in dutch oven, cook 1 1/2 cups chopped onion and 2 chopped celery ribs in 1 T. olive oil, just until translucent.
- Add spices and cook until the veggies start to brown: 1/2 t. onion powder, 1/2 t. garlic powder, 1/2 t. paprika, 1/2 t. chili powder, 1/4 t. cayenne, 1/2 t. dried thyme,
1/2 t. dried oregano
- Add beans and 4 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil then simmer until beans are tender, about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Reserve cooking liquid when drain beans. Drain beans ;)
- Preheat oven to 325, with rack in center of oven.
- Cook 1 cup white rice in 2 T butter (or alternative) and 1 t salt until well-coated, 3-4 minutes. Add scant 2 cups of bean cooking liquid (try to leave sediment behind). Add extra water as needed to get 2 cups total.
- Bring rice and liquid up to a simmer, stir and cover and put in the oven.
- Bake 20 minutes or until rice has absorbed all the liquid. Sprinkle the beans over the top and return to the oven for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup minced parsley, toss to combine.
- Cover and let rest for 30 minutes before serving.