Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Spring is finally here

What a long winter this has been, and baby bean has been sick the last few weeks of it. It is awesome to be able to play outside and enjoy this wonderful sunny weather.
I've been cooking a lot lately, getting ready to really multitask when baby bean #2 arrives in a couple months. Of course, I mention I've been cooking a lot, and what are my first pix of? Restaurant food! Our favorite houseguest, Auntie Lauren, was here a couple weekends ago, and we went to El Callejon in Encinitas. They have a separate veggie menu, which is rare for any type of restaurant, especially mexican. The first plate is the avocado torta, full of fresh avo and served on a great telera roll. I am very partial to the black bean soup, which comes with crispy tortilla strips and crema for garnish, and I have to add some of their fresh salsa on top. Soooo yummy.
The last plate is the veggie combo plate (not exact name), with some super delicious rajas y queso tacos. Rajas are peppers, and they go very well with queso. Yummy yum yum!








Ok, so here is some of the stuff I've been cooking up. Not too much has turned out photogenic, but everything has been tasty. The spaghetti and beanballs (Veganomicon) were really great, I fried the beanballs and everything so they got super crispy. I usually bake them in the oven, for a slightly healthier option. And the final item is my amazing first attempt at a tart. I borrowed the tart pan from my MIL, and I modified a rhubarb tart recipe from How to Be a Domestic Goddess so I could use my fresh strawberries from San Juan Capistrano. Holey moley, this is yummy, and just keeps getting better in the fridge (way too rich and full of cream cheese to be finished in a day). I'm just so happy that it came out of the tart pan, and even happier that it looks and tastes good :)

No comments: