Saturday, June 28, 2008

Apricots coming out of our ears

My mom's tree is so overloaded that branches are breaking off from the trunk. We are talking bushels of apricots. Well, maybe one bushel. But it is soooo many. The little bean loves her some apricots, but we are limiting her to 5 a day. Her best friend, Po-po, downed 5 in 7 minutes. Should be interesting to see the result of that. My mom spent her day yesterday canning halved apricots, making lo-sugar jam and putting up a bit of puree for.......

THE BEST VEGAN ICE CREAM OF THE SUMMER
I really must apologize for being the worst food p0rn photographer in the greater tri-state area. Really, I am pretty darn bad at this. Sorry.

This is my apricot ice cream recipe
as adapted from several sources, including of, course, Veganomicon.

1 pound squishy-ripe fresh apricots (10 to 16, depending on size)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar




1/2 cup coconut milk cream (the super thick bit that rises to the top of the can when it is refrigerated)
6 oz silken tofu
1 cup soy milk
3 drops almond extract

Slice open the apricots and remove the pits, then cut each apricot into sixths. Cook the apricot pieces with the water in a covered medium, nonreactive saucepan over medium heat until tender, about 8 minutes, and stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar until dissolved. Let cool to room temperature.

Once cool, purée the apricots and any liquid from the saucepan in a blender until smooth. If there are noticable fibers, you might want to strain the apricots. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, I just left the apricots in the blender to chill. Add the remaining ingredients to the blender, which should be cool from the fridge. Blend until blended! Freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. This was the max amount I can even fit in my ice cream maker.

Here is this morning's breakfast. Joy of Cooking's Buttermilk pancakes, organic CA strawberries, and VWAV tempeh bacon. Little bean loves her some pancakes and berries, but balked at the bacon. Sigh. It was so delicious.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish I had apricots coming out of my ears.